If you’re looking for a dreamy, charming coastal village complete with a lovely river for your next vacation, then Western Australia’s Dongara is perfect for you. Don’t miss this guide to Dongara for family travelers.
Plan Your Activities
There’s a lot to do and see at Dongara. Be sure to visit the Dongara Denison Tourist Visitor Centre for information on events, attractions and the best eateries. Also buy the Dongara Denison Local Ragfor the latest town activities and event timetables.
Enjoy Fabulous Oceanside Adventures
- Explore Dongara’s many beautiful beaches with your family. You can go swimming, fishing, sailing surfing, windsurfing and more here.
- Explore South Beach’s miles of sugar-sand white beaches by foot, horse or car. Check out Dongara’s local Surf Club at South Beach to rent surfing equipment and attend surfing lessons.
- Enjoy fishing from one of the three jetties at the marina. You can grab yourself some whiting, mulloway, tailor or silver beam in seconds. How about some rock lobsters as well?
Enjoy Some Fabulous Views
- If you drive to Dongara from Perth via the Indian Ocean Drive, be sure to take small breaks to take in the many scenic lookouts en route.
- At Dongara, don’t forget to visit Fishermen’s Lookout for some truly amazing ocean views. Check out the list of shipwrecks on display at the Port Denison Obelisk; a friendly boardwalk is available for easy viewing.
- Enjoy some fresh seafood at South Beach’s Starfish Café, while lapping in the incredible ocean views from every angle.
- If you’re in Dongara between July and October, do check out the amazing wildflower displays. You can opt to drive yourself or sign up for a guided tour from Western Flora Caravan Park.
Go On Leisurely Walks
- Trek the Irwin River Nature Trail and take pictures of river wildlife, including pelicans and black swans. Stop at the Church Street Lookout for some lovely views of the ocean and the mouth of Irwin River.
- Also be sure to walk along the Port Denison Marina; this place is a buzz of activity and fun.
Attend Free Events
Many free events and festivals take place throughout the year. For example, the Town Markets are set up every first Saturday. You can buy your souvenirs here, from a selection of handmade crafts. There’s also the Larry Lobster Festival during October; grab some free local food and entertainment during this time.
Do The Historical Rounds
- Check out 1860-built Russ Cottage, which is a fine example of a Victorian era yeoman’s cottage.
- Take in the 28 heritage-listed buildings along the 1.6km Heritage Trail.
- Check out the Irwin District Museum, which was once the local Police Station, built in 1870 by original pioneers.
- Visit the Dongara Cemetery and do some gravestone rubbing.
photo credit: Mark, Vicki, Ellaura and Mason via photopin (cc)
Do The Foodie Rounds!
What’s a family vacation without some amazing food? Be sure to visit the Highway Caltex for Dongara’s famous pies. There’s also the Dongara Fish & Chips for fresh seafood and amazing pastries. Also check out Southerlys Harbor View Bar & Restaurant for some amazing steak sandwiches.
About the Author
Teena Celis is a freelance travel writer. In her articles, she presents an insightful view into Australian holidaying.