India, the land of diversity, is a paradise for every photography buff. From the picturesque snow-capped mountains in Ladakh to the still poses of the Bengal Tiger in Corbett, festive ambiance of Gujarat and mystical sculptures of Ajanta caves, the country holds within a lot to quench any photographer’s whims. Photography amateurs, enthusiasts, and professionals visit India from around the globe to have a memory, a moment or an event immortalized in a frame.
Said that, if you are too are bored of clicking the mundane scenery that your surroundings offer, pick your finest camera lenses and make your way to ‘country of colors’ ASAP!
Nature and Wildlife Photography
India is rich in flora and fauna and many photographers love clicking its wildlife through their cameras. There are numerous natural sites that cast a spell on photographers with their scenic charm. For those who want to click amazing nature and wildlife pictures, here is a list of places that will serve you with the best.
- Jim Corbett – Early morning shoots in Corbett are a must for every photographer. Housing as many as 586 species in its boundary, Jim Corbett is one of the best locations for wildlife photography shoot. You can take the clichéd shot of the Bengal Tiger taking its daily stroll among the beautiful green trees.
- Tadoba National Park – Visit Tadoba National Park between the months of March and June to spot tigers roaming in their natural habitat. It hosts several wildlife photography tours throughout the year. You can also spot other animals like leopard, sloth bears, beautiful butterflies etc. A shot of birds flying in the sky can make for a really good photograph.
- Ladakh – For all the nature photography enthusiasts, there is no better place than Ladakh. The picturesque lakes like Pangong, Tsokar, Tsomoriri and Chandrataa offers amazing setting for nature photography.
- Kashmir – Kashmir is called the ‘Paradise on Earth’ and for the valid reasons. The snow-clad mountains, sparkling lakes with colorful shikara in it will be an excellent option for all the nature photographers.
Culture and Traditional Photography
India is a land of culture and tradition. Many photo enthusiasts love to capture this rich and vibrant culture in their 35 mm. Read on to find some amazing locations in the country for cultural photography.
- Rajasthan – The vibrant and colorful art and culture of Rajasthan offers the best setting for all the cultural photographers. The royal palaces have their own charm and attract innumerable photographers. The Holi Festival and Desert Festival are the great events place for photographers to click the deep-rooted culture of Rajasthan.
- Gujarat – Gujarat has a colorful culture; from the vibrant Bandhani work to Ghats of Dwarka, one can find countless instances to capture the essence of this state. Capturing the Garba festival through your lenses during the Navratras would be the best way to capture the essence of Gujarat.
- Chennai – Chennai, lined with colorful temples (like Kapileeshwar or Parthsarthy) and a rich history, has many sites to click some breathtaking pictures. Apart from that, one can also capture the view of sunrise and sunset through their lenses.
- Kolkata – Kolkata is a delight for all the street photographers. Pictures of people pulling the hath-gaadi and driving the yellow and black taxi can be iconic in your photo album if clicked correctly. Photographers can visit this city during the time of Durga Puja or Laxmi Puja to capture the beauty of women clad in the traditional red and white sarees.
- Varanasi – Varanasi, known to be formed by Lord Shiva, is the spiritual capital of the city. This is enough to excite all the cultural photographers. With 80 river ghats and innumerable sadhus doing their regular tapasya, Varanasi or Benaras is sure to get you some amazing portrait photographs.
Historical and Architectural Photography
Many photographers love to shoot the country’s rich history in their cameras. India is blessed with numerous heritage sites where one can capture some of the best architectural marvels. Read on to find out the best sites for historical and architectural photography in the country.
- Agra – When a city houses one of the Seven Wonders of the World, then its charm automatically becomes incomparable. The majestic Taj Mahal is an epitome of love and reflects the architectural excellence of Mughal era. There are many other places to visit in Agra to capture amazing architectural marvels.
- Hampi – The ancient city of Hampi embraces within its boundaries as many as 500 picturesque monuments. Capture the ancient market streets, treasury buildings, royal pavilions and bastions all add to the architectural charm of the city.
- Ajanta & Ellora – The caves at Ajanta and Ellora are a wonderful site for any photography enthusiast who loves to capture the true essence of Indian architecture. Dating back to the 2nd century, they have excellent carvings of Buddhist sculptures.
- Delhi – Delhi has been the capital of the country for many years. There are various monuments and heritage sites like the Old Fort, Humayun’s Tomb, etc. that will be a perfect setting for your monument photography.
- Rajasthan – “An indisputable photography haven, drenched in royal history” Dotted with several forts and palaces, Rajasthan is one of the must-visit places in the country for any photography buff. Photos clicked here would reflect the royal heritage of the state as well as the splendid architecture.
Having gone through all these places, don’t wait for the best occasion, just pack all the essential stuff, not to forget ‘the camera’, and reach out to these amazing destinations to capture the true essence of the country.
Sophia is simply a travel freak and crazy researching about new places that she can explore. Recently visited Singapore tour and it was memorable. She dreams to go for a world tour once in a lifetime and put it down in words and also write for TourTravelWorld . Follow her on Google+ to discover more about travel destinations.